Frequently Asked Questions

Are there different types of Guardian ad Litem?

Yes, there are different types of Guardian ad Litem.  There is volunteer Guardian ad Litem that represent a child whom is a victim of abuse or neglect. 

There are attorney Guardian ad Litem and lay Attorney Guardian ad Litem who are appointed by the family court judge in child custody, adoptions, etc in private cases. 

What is parental alienation?

Parental alienation is one parent's attempt to cast the other parent in a negative light. The frequency, type, intensity, and range of the alienating behaviors can be mild to severe.  The child’s age and temperament, the quality of the relationship with the alienated parent before the alienating behaviors began, and the amount of quality parenting time the child has had with the alienated parent play a role in the outcomes.

Is parental alienation a form of domestic violence?

This complex form of aggression entails a parental figure engaging in the long-term use of a variety of aggressive behaviors to harm the relationship between their child and another parental figure, and/or to hurt the other parental figure directly because of their relationship with their child. Like other forms of family violence, parental alienation has serious and negative consequences for family members, yet victims are often blamed for their experience. Source; 2018 American Psychological Association

What is a parenting plan?

Your parenting plan or custody agreement outlines how you and the other parent will continue to care and provide for your children after you separate. An effective plan is personalized to fit the needs of your family situation and contains the following information.  

What are the benefits of Parent Support Services?

Parent support services provide you with the opportunity to review your family situation with a neutral third party to see if court intervention can be avoided.   Improves communication skills with your former spouse or other parent to enable better co-parenting.  Establishes boundaries and set forth your expectations.  Addresses co-parenting issues in a non-adversarial setting. Improves relationships between family members. Reduces conflict between the parents.

 Creates environment for co-parenting in the best interests of the children     

What is the difference in your services and those of an attorney?

We do not provide legal advice on your specific situation however, we can connect you with an attorney if necessary.We  will review your situation to determine if there are issues that you can resolve yourself without an attorney. We only focus on issues involving the children, not martial property and specific divorce issues. 

My ex refuses to help me control our child's behaviors, how can you help?

  • Co-parenting is challenging for many families. A Parent Coordinator will help facilitate the communication between you, your child and your ex and if necessary assist you in locating services in your area to address your concerns

I want to see my child but I'm ordered to be supervised, now what?

  • Your parenting time is very important to your child. Our supervised parenting time will give your child  security  and you the support you need to be an involved parent at an affordable rate.